Rules and Requirements
OpenRecords Virtual Hackathon
- Participant sign up begins at 12pm EST on Tuesday February 7, 2017 and ends at 5pm EST on February 25, 2017.
- Participants must submit their final solutions via the OpenRecords DevPost site
- All submissions must be in English and through the OpenRecords DevPost site by 5:00 pm, February 25, 2017
- All submissions must be wireframes and if possible, clickable prototypes
- Participants must be U.S. residents or in attendance at the live event at the time of winning to be eligible for the prizes. Non-U.S. residents may participate but will not be eligible for prizes.
- All Participants agree to keep confidential data and any personally identifiable information confidential.
- Each Participant must provide all hardware and software needed to participate.
- This Hackathon may be cancelled, suspended, or modified.
- Participants may be disqualified for violations of these rules or otherwise engaging in disruptive behavior.
- Participants of the live event must sign in with the Hackathon venue, including providing their full name and email contact. The venue also requires Participants to be photographed. Participants will be issued an id badge. Participants agree that the venue may send a single email to the email contact provided by the Participant to survey the Participant as a facility guest of the venue.
- Participants may participate individually or in teams of up to 4 Participants.
- Participants must be eighteen years of age or older.
- No Participant can be a Rise New York or DORIS employee or DORIS independent contractor.
- No Participant can be an employee or independent contractor of a DORIS vendor.
- Participants must choose whether to participate in the virtual event or the live event; Participants may not participate in both.
Judging and Prizes
- Submissions will be judged by a panel of judges.
- All Participants of the live event and winners of the virtual submission process will receive a certificate of recognition from the Mayor’s Office.
- Winners will receive a framed image from the Municipal Archives and an interview with the DORIS social media team.
- Recusal notice: A judge will disqualify the judge from judging a particular Participant or Team in which a Participant is a member where the judge’s impartiality might reasonably be questioned, such as where the judge has a personal bias toward a Participant through an employment or personal relationship with the Participant.
By entering the Hackathon, you agree to grant DORIS the right to use, publicly display, publish and reproduce, for all purposes, including publicity and analysis, the team name and each team member’s name and submission. The team member also grants DORIS the right to create, use, publish, and reproduce any analysis that derives from any Hackathon submission.
Department of Records and Information Services Hackathon Participant Agreement
- I am submitting this Participant Agreement (“Agreement”) to the New York City Department of Records and Information Services (“Agency”) in connection with my participation in the New York City Department of Records and Information Services Hackathon, to take place on February 7, 2017, through February 25, 2017.
- I affirm that I have read and will comply with the official Hackathon rules and that any information provided by me shall be true and complete. I further affirm I have not perpetrated nor will perpetrate any fraud or deception on the Hackathon, and I have not sought to influence its outcome other than by my participation.
- I grant the Agency permission with the Hackathon to use on a worldwide basis and in all forms of media, in perpetuity and without payment or further consideration, my name, photograph, likeness, statements, biographic information, voice and address (city, state and country), project name, company summary and product or service description and any other information that I have provided.
- I grant the Agency worldwide license in perpetuity to use, modify, publicly perform, display, transmit, or broadcast any materials I submit in the Hackathon.
- I acknowledge that my submission reflects my original work for which I own all rights, title and interest therein and does not violate the rights of any third party.
- I acknowledge that my submission shall be open-sourced, shall be in English or provided with an English-language translation.
- I release, discharge, and agree to hold harmless the Agency from any claims or demands or judgments for damages and from costs and expenses to which they may be subject to that arise from my participation.
- I acknowledge that the Agency may access or create materials and ideas that may be similar or identical to my submission and agree that I will not be entitled to any compensation for that access or creation.
- I acknowledge that the Agency is required to protect confidential information that may be contained in the data, and I will exercise reasonable care to preserve that confidentiality and not disclose information except as may be required or otherwise authorized by law, regulation or judicial order.
- I acknowledge the Agency is not responsible for any inaccurate information associated with the Hackathon, technical failures, or unauthorized intervention in the Hackathon. Remedy for any loss of submission is limited to Participant providing another submission on or before 5:00 pm, February 25, 2017.
- I acknowledge that any breach of this Agreement shall entitle the aggrieved party to seek injunctive or other equitable relief as a remedy for any breach of confidentiality or other obligations. I further acknowledge that unauthorized disclosure of confidential information may result in civil or criminal penalties.
- I acknowledge that the Hackathon, this Agreement, and the parties’ rights and obligations thereunder will be governed under the laws of the State of New York, without application of conflicts of laws principles. The City of New York shall be the venue for any disputes related to the Hackathon.
- I affirm that this Agreement does not conflict with any other commitments or obligations on my part. I agree that this Agreement supersedes any prior negotiations or understandings between me and the Agency and no provision of this Agreement shall be modified by any other instrument or document unless in writing and signed by me and the Agency.
- I acknowledge that I have been given a full opportunity to review and analyze this Agreement. I fully and completely understand its terms and accept it voluntarily, freely, and knowingly.